We need YOU to protect the Catskills!!
Catskill Mountainkeeper is searching for up to four highly motivated and reliable seasonal Catskill Stewards to help protect Catskills wilderness and recreation areas. The Catskills have become increasingly popular in the last several years, and previously pristine destinations have experienced ecological damage from overuse. Catskill Stewards will provide friendly, welcoming natural history interpretation and education to the public at top Catskills outdoor recreation destinations to help orient visitors and minimize high-use impacts.
This is an early career position suited for someone who loves the outdoors, enjoys challenges, and seeks a physically active position that helps protect important natural areas.
The season, including training time, runs from May 19 to September 5, 2022. Paid training is provided; travel via personal vehicle to the training site is required. All positions are located outdoors with minimal facilities available. Stewards will be assigned on a rotating basis to top Catskills destinations in the Beaverkill Valley: Alder Lake, Big Pond, and the Beaverkill Covered Bridge Day Use Area.
Part-time Stewards work 9am-5pm Thursday - Monday each week including holidays (Tuesdays and Wednesdays are off), May 19 – September 5 in all except dangerous weather conditions. Pay is $23/hour for those who meet the required qualifications below, $25/hour for those who meet the requirements AND are fluent Spanish speakers.
Under the supervision of the Stewardship Manager, the Catskill Stewards will:
- Welcome and inform the public about the area: the Delaware Watershed, Beaverkill Valley, the Catskill Park and Catskill Forest Preserve as appropriate
- Introduce visitors to and inspire them to adopt Leave No Trace principles
- Familiarize visitors with Catskill Mountainkeeper, the Catskill Center, and NYS public lands
- Direct visitors to dispose of litter and trash correctly
- Collect and dispose of litter and trash
- Suggest alternative recreation destinations as appropriate
- Support on-site Forest Rangers and New York State Department of Environmental Conservation staff
- Assist supervisor with reporting requirements
- Complete other tasks as requested
- Passion for the environment and/or the Catskills
- Excellent communication, public speaking and interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to work alone under minimal supervision
- Ability to remain outdoors with minimal access to facilities and no cell phone service for eight hours at a time
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation to/from training site and work sites
- Ability to lift 30 lbs
Strong candidates will also have many of the following qualifications:
- Knowledge of natural history, ecology, and recreational opportunities of the Catskill Park
- Spanish fluency (fluent Spanish speakers will be paid $25/hr)
This program is part of a partnership with the Catskill Center and NYS Department of Environmental Conservation
Established in 2006, Catskill Mountainkeeper is the strongest advocate for the Catskill region. Working with a network of concerned citizens and strategic partners, Mountainkeeper's programs protect and promote our region's extraordinary natural heritage while advancing smart development that supports local communities and grows our economy in a sustainable way.
Our partners at the Catskill Center and NYS Department of Environmental Conservation have established a successful Catskill Stewards Program to address negative impacts at high use recreation areas in the western Catskills. We now join them to implement a Stewards Program in the Beaverkill Valley of the Western Catskills to contend with the problems associated with overuse in this pristine wilderness area.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and will be accepted until April 30, 2022 or until the positions are filled. Catskill Mountainkeeper is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment. We welcome applicants of all races, religions, national origins, genders, marital status, sexual orientations, ages, disabilities, veteran status, or any other characteristic, including those protected by federal, state, or local law.
To Apply: Please send an application package, including resume, and contact information for three professional references to [email protected]