On February 5th Mountainkeeper and our allies at the Catskill Park Coalition will be meeting with New York’s legislative leaders, senators and assembly members, and key regulatory staff to make our case for funding. With all of the special interests in Albany trying to get money for their pet projects, we need to stand out. To do that we’ll need YOU with us, telling your story, and making the case for the Catskills.
We’re asking for:
- State investment in the Park and stewardship activities to ensure that our trails are clear and clean, and our facilities are inviting to the millions of people who visit each year;
- Smart growth grants for our communities, to help our towns and cities grow sustainably;
- Department of Environmental Conservation and Forest Ranger staff to keep our park safe and our forests healthy;
- Resources to fight the hemlock woolly adelgid--the little bug threatening to decimate the Catskills’ keystone species, the majestic hemlock tree;
- Green infrastructure funding to ensure that as we make critical infrastructure updates, we’re choosing renewables and water conservation;
- Support for the Maurice D. Hinchey Catskill Interpretive Center, upgrades to Belleayare (not related to resort expansion), new funding for the Scenic Byways, and a mountain biking plan at Shandaken.
Please include your full address when registering--we will do our best to schedule a meeting with your legislator's office. Please also include your phone number--we will use it to contact you with information and updates about Catskill Park Day.
What to expect:
We will gather at 9am on the third floor terrace overlooking the Well in the Legislative Office Building. We'll hear from some of our Catskills Champions, receive our schedules and meet up with our groups. From 10a - 4pm we will meet with legislative offices to discuss our priorities. Each group will have 4 - 5 meetings, and every effort will be made to match constituents with legislators. For some meetings we will meet with legislators, and others will be with staff.
Don't hesitate to reach out with any questions! firstname.lastname@example.org
198 State St
Albany, NY 12210
Google map and directions